WWOOF Canada is seeking a thoughtful, organized, and creative individual to oversee membership services and communications. We are looking for someone who has experience with WWOOF, or at the very least who has demonstrated a passion for organic agriculture and sustainable living, and who excels when given lots of flexibility and independence. See the job description below.
Location & Hours:
This is a remote-work position, however, the successful candidate must reside in Canada (please indicate where you live in your application). The candidate will work an average of 20 hours a week (between 15 and 25 hours a week, depending on the time of year), during regular business hours. To some extent, this position can be modified to fit the skills and lifestyle of the successful candidate.
Deadline for Applications:
Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 5pm EST/ 2pm PST
About the Organization:
WWOOF Canada® is a small-scale, membership-based organization. We are part of a worldwide effort to link visitors with organic farmers, promoting a cultural and educational exchange, and building a global community conscious of organic farming practices.
WWOOF Canada manages a community and online directory of organic farms, homesteads, and garden projects. These hosts welcome visitors (WWOOFers) to their farms, providing room, board, and hands-on experience in organic agriculture and sustainable living. WWOOF Canada is part of and works closely with the Federation of WWOOF Organizations (FoWO) an international network of independently run WWOOF organizations, operating in more than 100 countries around the world. WWOOF was founded in 1971 and WWOOF Canada has been operating since 1985.
The primary responsibilities of this position are to manage WWOOF Canada’s membership services and communications. These responsibilities will be shared with the Executive Director with whom the Coordinator will work closely. The Coordinator will also have regular contact with the French-language Coordinator.
Membership Services Responsibilities:
- Communicate with members by email and (occasionally) by phone (Monday through Friday – with some flexibility) to help ensure they have a fulfilling experience with WWOOF
- Respond to incoming membership requests and general inquiries (including account and tech support) in a helpful and timely way
- Carry out host approvals, including reviewing profiles, collecting information (such as IDs), and carrying out host interviews
- Test the website as needed to identify bugs, issues, or areas of in need of improvement
- Collect testimonials, stories, and photos from members for use in WWOOF communications
- Work with the Executive Director to review and respond to concerns, complaints, and contested reviews
- Work with the Executive Director to develop new and improved policies and procedures and to ensure that all documents are kept up to date
- Report cases of disallowed content or behaviour and contact members to request removing content or making changes to their profile
- Monitor member analytics such as membership registrations, host approvals, and visit requests and report to Executive Director and Board quarterly, as well as record key performance indicators (KPIs) monthly
- Be thoughtful and creative about ways to improve WWOOF Canada as an organization
- Opportunity to work in Federation of WWOOF Organisations (FoWO) committees or workgroup, as capacity allows
- Monitor and respond to FoWO posts on Basecamp relating to website updates, WWOOF membership policies, and WWOOF best practices
- Visit host farms or attend outreach events, pending interest and need
- Attend and, when needed, present at weekly staff meetings, quarterly board meetings and annual general meeting (AGM)
- Cover for other members of the WWOOF Canada staff team when needed
- Manage WWOOF Canada social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and TikTok), including creating and scheduling posts, responding to comments, and providing customer service
- Promote, facilitate, and present WWOOF Canada’s monthly WWOOFing 101 and hosting 101 webinars
- Promote, facilitate, and manage WWOOF Canada’s annual photo and video contests
- Develop creative and engaging promotional e-mailouts, providing tips, promoting hosts, and revealing the huge variety of exciting WWOOFing opportunities in Canada
- Create, edit, and distribute WWOOF Canada’s quarterly member newsletter, filling it with inspiring stories, helpful resources, useful tips, and WWOOF initiatives and events
- Create news posts/articles for the org.wwoof.ca website, (stories, featured farms, featured regions, news items, etc.)
- Use Canva to create attractive and engaging graphics to promote WWOOF Canada initiatives and events, such as webinars, coupons, and contests, on social media, on the website, and in mailouts
- Use analytical tools to track and measure the success of WWOOF Canada communications
- Research & implement new policies, platforms and methodologies to improve WWOOF Canada’s communications
- Create an annual communications calendar with a schedule of events, initiatives, and programs
- Education and/or experience in a relevant field – (public relations, communications, marketing, business, et al.)
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English
- Organized and methodical approach, with a great attention to detail
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Experience and comfort working independently and remotely
- Highly motivated to take initiative and see projects through
- Creative and thoughtful
- An understanding of communications principles and concepts, including experience crafting key messages
- Experience creating basic graphics using programs such as Canva
- Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset
- Experience with non-profit organizations
- Experience WWOOFing, farming, and/or in the sustainable agriculture movement
- Willingness to be a public face for WWOOF Canada (during host interviews, webinars, etc.)
- Experience using Calendly, Stripe, Mailerlite, Quickbooks, or similar programs
- Experience managing and updating WordPress websites (no programming experience required)
- Experience managing Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter accounts & posts, especially with a social media scheduler such as Later
- Experience with Google Suite, including Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Forms, Slides, Calendar, and Meet
- Availability 4 to 5 hours per day, 5 days per week
- Is a full-time Canadian resident
- Capable of working as part of a small team of three staff members, connecting via phone, video, and in-person meetings
- Ability to work well with the public, farmers, WWOOFers, and a board of directors
- A private workspace with a computer, reliable high-speed internet connection, and either a landline or cellular phone with good reception / service.
This is a 15 -25 hour per week, remote-work contract position that reports to the Executive Director. Gross hourly wage is $25 per hour. The successful candidate must use their own equipment, including phone and computer.
Applications should be sent in by Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 5pm EST/ 2pm PST. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
No phone calls, please. Confirmation of receipt of your application and additional questions will be addressed by email.