Visa Information

You can WWOOF in Canada without a Work Permit

Research your VISA requirements

Foreign nationals visiting farms and small holdings in exchange for room and board for a period of up to four weeks per host do not require work permits.  However, please do your research and find out whether you need any kind of visa to enter Canada. We cannot provide advice on this issue – it is up to you to do the research and find out. If you are a citizen of another country, please visit the “Citizenship and Immigration Canada” website via the button below to see if you require a visa to enter Canada.

Important Restrictions

– If you have a work permit you can WWOOF with any WWOOF host – who operate commercially or non-commercially without worry of breaking any regulations.

– If you do NOT have a work permit, but a visitor’s visa only, you are restricted to WWOOFing with only non-commercial hosts (who provide for the basic needs of the family, with little extra to sell for the profit of the family) – for a maximum of 4 weeks with each host.  

(Note: 80% of WWOOF Canada hosts are NOT commercial and some hosts have both commercial and non-commercial operations where they can provide arrangements for WWOOFers with only a visitor’s visa.)

Important Requirements

WWOOFing is a Tourist Activity

If you are a foreign national visiting Canada without a work permit, in order to ease your entry into Canada through border services, you should be prepared by knowing the following requirements:

1) Your primary reason for entering Canada is to go on holiday and do tourist activities.

WWOOF is an education: Visitors (WWOOFers) live with their hosts as a guest receiving food and accommodation.  Part of your time WWOOFing with a host family includes an educational component by lending a helping hand to learn about sustainable agriculture.

There is no hierarchy between host and WWOOFer, no productivity expectations, no financial transactions, and as such WWOOFing encourages a partnership based on mutual trust and respect.

WWOOFers (visitors) live with the host family, share a cultural exchange, and participate in tourist activities in their free time both on their own and along with the host family.

2) Be very polite and answer all questions truthfully.

Don’t be nervous as you have nothing to be nervous about.

Note: Border guards can and have demanded cell phones and have perused emails to identify who you have been contacting. They also may go through all your belongings including any documentation you may have.

3) You have enough money

You have enough money to cover your expenses while in Canada (it is recommended at least $20-$30/day)

4) You have a return ticket to return home

5) You will be WWOOFing only part-time.

You will be WWOOFing only part-time, and no more than 4 weeks with each host.

6) You will be WWOOFing with non-commercial WWOOF hosts.

You will be WWOOFing with WWOOF hosts who are NOT a commercial operation and therefore you could not be considered an employee

Note: 80% of WWOOF Canada hosts are NOT commercial.  Some hosts have BOTH commercial and non-commercial operations.

7) You are aware of the following legislation:

Citizenship & Immigration Canada advises the following, found under What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?

“There may be other types of unpaid short-term work where the work is really INCIDENTAL to the main reason that a person is visiting Canada and is not a competitive activity, even though non-monetary valuable consideration is received. For instance, if a tourist wishes to stay on a family farm and work part time just for room and board for a SHORT PERIOD (i.e., 1-4 weeks), this person would NOT BE CONSIDERED A WORKER.”


Letter of Invitation

Some visitors to Canada may require a “letter of invitation”.

WWOOFers (visitors) with this requirement would have to ask a prospective WWOOF host(s) if they were willing to provide this letter on their behalf.

There is no guarantee that such a letter will be provided as WWOOF hosts are not obligated to do so. And you would have to risk paying for a membership in order to contact hosts.

Your best bet is to secure your visa before buying a membership.

The “letter of invitation” requirements can be found via this link to the Citizenship & Immigration website.

Opportunities to travel and work in Canada

If you’re 18 to 35 (18 to 30 in some countries), come work and travel in Canada through International Experience Canada (IEC)! It’s a government program designed to help you

  • gain valuable international work experience
  • improve your language skills in English and French
  • work in Canada and fund the trip of a lifetime

If you have followed the above recommendations
you should have no issues with entry into Canada to go WWOOFing.

Please contact us at if you have any questions.

Legal Disclaimer : This information is intended for general guidance and reference only.